HIGH TECH MEETS HIGHER LEARNING
The CapU Digital Media & Innovation Boot Camp focuses on developing creative and innovative young people by nurturing their curiosity, imagination, and collaborative skills. We do this through real-world projects, which tap into the students’ innate creativity and intrinsic motivation by allowing them to create their own unique projects and learning plans within their chosen stream, all under the skilled guidance of our experienced instructors.
Through this process, students learn technical digital media and design skills, while exploring valuable tools for project management, innovation, teamwork, and problem-solving to help them choose and succeed on their career path. Guest speakers from the creative industry and relevant field trips further inspire campers to see where their talents could take them.
HOW DOES THE BOOT CAMP WORK?
You and your team work on a project within your chosen stream. You integrate your knowledge of media design and technology to create video games, animations, short films, audio recordings, special effects, digital art and designs, and more! Our experienced teachers guide you as you build your learning and project plan, and work through the learning tools and creative process. On the last day of camp, you showcase your project during a show- and-tell party for family and friends.
You may choose between six streams. You select which stream you’d like to join on the first day of camp. Each stream covers different aspects of digital media technology:
Stream 1: Game Design & Virtual Reality
Design your own video game with Vive Virtual Reality and Unreal Engine. Learn and use basic coding, physics and game design theory, and take home your own game executable.
Stream 2: 3D Modelling, Printing & Design
Calling all creators, makers and innovators of the future: Experiment with character modelling using Mudbox and create a Marvel character. Then, print your creation on our 3D printers, and finish it off with airbrush painting before you get to take it home.
Stream 3: Sound Recording and Mixing
Experiment with voice recording, sound principles and mixing, and create your own sound production files or remix for music, games or films, ready to take home.
Stream 4: Photography
Master camera use, composition lighting and different styles of photography. Then, learn how to use Photoshop and digital editing and printing techniques for great results. Take home 5 high quality prints for your portfolio.
Stream 5: Film and Visual Effects
Future filmmaker? Get a real feel for what it takes as you move through the film making process of pre-production (script writing, storyboarding, shot lists), production (camera and lighting use, shot types, make-up, green screen and sound), and post-production (editing and visual effects). Take home all your video project files.
Stream 6: Graphic Design and Digital Art
Do you love to draw, design and create? Learn and perfect your skills with design principles, concepts and processes using tools from the Adobe Creative Suite such as Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign. Then, take home a T-shirt and a full colour high quality printout or poster for your designs.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Campers must be highly motivated and self-directed with a strong interest in art, design, and digital media.
PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT GIVES YOU THE EDGE
The camp takes place in the labs of the Digital Media Academy at Argyle Secondary School in North Vancouver. You will be able to bring any idea to life with professional software and equipment, including Valve’s Vive virtual reality development kits, the latest Adobe CC Master and Autodesk suites, as well as 3D and 2D printers, video and photography cameras, and a studio outfitted with lights, a green screen and sound recording equipment.
WHY CHOOSE THE CAP U DIGITAL MEDIA & INNOVATION BOOT CAMP?
• Hands-on experience with latest digital technology ensures your skill-sets are up-to-date and in demand
• Emphasis on creativity and problem-solving means you don’t just learn to use tools, you learn to harness ideas and turn them into reality
• Inquiry-based, self-directed learning format puts you in charge of your ideas
• Group learning environment develops confidence, communication and collaborative skills, not to mention new friends!
• Relevant, real-world curriculum combined with a focus on creative aptitude and problem-solving skills prepares you for college and university programs. Or to become a super-villain, if university isn’t part of your plans
• Field trips give you first-hand exposure to real-world industry leaders and world-class facilities such as the Bosa Centre for Film and Animation
• Exceptional teaching, expertise and experience. The CapU DMI Boot Camp is led by experienced and passionate teachers – one of them who has won the Prime Minister’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
• Opportunity to take work home on your personal Dropbox or Google Drive
• Personalized feedback
• Field trips and guest speakers
• Certificate of Completion
• Materials and supplies
• CapU Digital Media & Innovation Camp T-shirt
• High student-to-staff ratios
• Last day of camp show-and-tell party
NOTE: Early Bird Discount! Register before school ends (June 29th) and pay only $1,395 (Regular: $1,595).