HIGH TECH MEETS HIGHER LEARNING
The CapU Digital Media & Innovation Boot Camp focuses on developing creative and innovative young people by nurturing their curiosity, imagination, and collaborative skills. We do this through real-world projects, which tap into the students’ innate creativity and intrinsic motivation by allowing them to create their own unique projects and learning plans within their chosen stream, all under the skilled guidance of our experienced instructors.
Through this process, students learn technical digital media and design skills, while exploring valuable tools for project management, innovation, teamwork, and problem-solving to help them choose and succeed on their career path. Guest speakers from the creative industry and relevant field trips further inspire campers to see where their talents could take them.
HOW DOES THE BOOT CAMP WORK?
You and your team work on a project within your chosen stream. You integrate your knowledge of media design and technology to create video games, animations, short films, audio recordings, special effects, digital art and designs, and more! Our experienced teachers guide you as you build your learning and project plan, and work through the learning tools and creative process. On the last day of camp, you showcase your project during a show- and-tell party for family and friends.
You may choose between six streams. You select which stream you’d like to join on the first day of camp. Each stream covers different aspects of digital media technology:
Stream 1: Game Design & Virtual Reality
Covers: Vive Virtual Reality, Unreal Engine, basic coding, physics, game design, and more. Includes take-home game executable.
Stream 2: 3D Modelling, Printing & Design
Covers: Character modelling, Mudbox, creation of a Marvel character, 3D printing, airbrush painting, and more. Includes a 3D printout of your model.
Stream 3: Sound Recording and Mixing
Covers: Sound principles, recording software use, microphones, mixing, creating your own recording or remix for music, games or film. Includes copies of your sound production files.
Stream 4: Photography
Covers: Camera use, composition, Photoshop and digital techniques, printing techniques, lighting, and styles of photography. Includes five high-quality prints.
Stream 5: Film and Visual Effects
Covers: Pre-Production – Script writing, storyboarding, shot lists; Production – Camera and lighting use, shot types, make-up, green screen and sound; Post-Production – Editing and Visual Effects. Includes all your video project files.
Stream 6: Graphic Design and Digital Art
Covers: Designing with Illustrator, Photoshop and InDesign, design principles and concepts, and design process. Includes a T-shirt with your own design and full color high quality printouts of your designs.
WHO IS THIS FOR?
Campers must be highly motivated and self-directed with a strong interest in art, design, and digital media.
PROFESSIONAL EQUIPMENT GIVES YOU THE EDGE
The camp takes place in the labs of the Digital Media Academy at Argyle Secondary School in North Vancouver. You will be able to bring any idea to life with professional software and equipment, including Valve’s Vive virtual reality development kits, the latest Adobe CC Master and Autodesk suites, as well as 3D and 2D printers, video and photography cameras, and a studio outfitted with lights, a green screen and sound recording equipment.
WHY CHOOSE THE CAP U DIGITAL MEDIA & INNOVATION BOOT CAMP?
• Hands-on experience with latest digital technology ensures your skill-sets are up-to-date and in demand
• Emphasis on creativity and problem-solving means you don’t just learn to use tools, you learn to harness ideas and turn them into reality
• Inquiry-based, self-directed learning format puts you in charge of your ideas
• Group learning environment develops confidence, communication and collaborative skills, not to mention new friends!
• Relevant, real-world curriculum combined with a focus on creative aptitude and problem-solving skills prepares you for college and university programs. Or to become a super-villain, if university isn’t part of your plans
• Field trips give you first-hand exposure to real-world industry leaders and world-class facilities such as the Bosa Centre for Film and Animation
• Exceptional teaching, expertise and experience. The CapU DMI Boot Camp is led by experienced and passionate teachers – one of them who has won the Prime Minister’s Award for Teaching Excellence.
• Opportunity to take work home on your personal Dropbox or Google Drive
• Personalized feedback
• Field trips and guest speakers
• Certificate of Completion
• Materials and supplies
• CapU Digital Media & Innovation Camp T-shirt
• High student-to-staff ratios
• Last day of camp show-and-tell party
NOTE: Early Bird Discount! Register before school ends (June 29th) and pay only $1,395 (Regular: $1,595).