Are you a new or existing board member looking for more confidence and direction on how to best serve on a board? Or perhaps you are the staff member responsible for board relations? This practical one-day workshop will help you understand your role and responsibilities, as well as the questions you should be asking. We will explore the legal meaning of fiduciary duty, how to identify conflicts of interest, ideal board structure, the use of committees, and other fundamentals of properly operating within your governance framework.
In this workshop, you will:
• Learn to explain the legal responsibilities that comes with board roles
• Identify conflicts of interests and how to deal with them
• Understand ideal board structures, the use of committees and the fundamentals of operating within a governance framework
Topics include, but are not limited to:
• What is governance and why is it important? Strategic oversight and the difference between a working board and a governance board
• What is fiduciary responsibility? Legal liability, risk management and the role of directors
• The role of the Chair and using executive and other committees
• Setting effective agendas and meeting management
• Board engagement and managing absentee board members
• Working with and reviewing the CEO or Executive Director
For instructor bios, please visit our Exec Ed Instructor page
Note: If you are an HRMA member, you are eligible for a discount (up to 15%). Please call 604.984.4901 to register and avail of the discount.