Yes and no. While you can register for a course right up until the day it starts, it’s important to remember that if there are not enough registrations one week prior to the course start date, then we can’t run the course, and will be forced to cancel it. Registering early is the best way to ensure a class makes the cut. Also, many of our courses fill quickly, and registering early is the best way to ensure you get into the course.

Is there food service on the weekends?

No, there is no food service on the weekends, unless you count vending machines. The vending machines serve beverages as well as sweet and salty snacks. Actually, they don’t serve them; they drop the snacks into a trough-like area and you have to feel around in there until you grab something that feels snacky. Then you withdraw your hand. And you have to be quick, lest the vending tentacle gets you. Just kidding, there is no vending tentacle. At least we don’t think there is. Anyway, we strongly—strongly—recommend packing a bag lunch for your weekend courses.

Can I complete my High School Diploma through Continuing Studies?

No. For this and other forms of preparatory studies, please contact our Adult Basic Education department at 604.983.7578.

Can I suggest a Continuing Studies course?

Yes, you can. In fact, we encourage you to submit course ideas. If there’s a course you would like to see, or want to propose teaching one yourself, feel free to contact us.

How may I contact an instructor?

There are two ways to find instructor contact information:

  • You can check the Campus Directory
  • You can request contact information for Continuing Studies instructors by phoning our office at 604.984.4901. Please note, however, that not all of our instructors have given their consent to release their email or phone number.

Where is the bookstore and what are its hours?

The bookstore is located in the Birch Building. Please visit the CapU Bookstore Website for their hours of operation.

How old do you have to be to take a Continuing Studies course?

We offer courses for all ages. Some of our music programs, for instance, are open to babies and toddlers. Our summer camps are for children, youth and teens. And of course, we have a wide range of courses, workshops and seminars for adult learners.

How will I know if a course is cancelled?

If a course is cancelled, we will inform you by phone at least two days before the course starts. You will also receive a full refund (see Refund Policy for full cancellation and class withdrawal details).

How do I get to the North Vancouver Campus?

Please visit our Maps and Directions if you are driving here. For information on transit to or from the campus please contact the TransLink information line at 604.953.3333 or click here for the TransLink Trip Planner. To find the location of your class, please refer to our North Vancouver Campus Map

How much does parking cost?

Pay parking is in effect 24 hours a day, seven days a week. For more information, please click here.

Is there a lunch break for a full-day class? Where can I get lunch on campus?

Hmmm, you just asked two questions there. But that’s okay, we’ll answer both of them. Typically there is a 30-minute lunch break for full-day classes. If your class is on a weekday, you can buy lunch at the University’s cafeteria. If, however, your class is on the weekend, you should bring a lunch, as the cafeteria is closed during weekends.

When is payment required?

Payment is required at time of registration. We accept Mastercard, Visa, AMEX, cheque, and Debit in-person.

How do I register for a course?

You can register online (by credit card only), by phone, fax, mail or in person. Payment is required at time of registration. We accept Mastercard, Visa, AMEX, cheque, and Debit in-person.

Do you have a calendar or brochure that you mail out, and can I get one?

We produce several course calendars per year: Three (summer, fall and spring) for the North Vancouver campus, and two (spring and fall) for our Sunshine Coast campus. The calendars are mass mailed to the North Shore and Sunshine Coast areas. If you haven’t been receiving one, and would like to, call 604.984.4901 and we will send you one. You can also view it online or you can swing by our office to pick one up.