Applied Digital Communications & Social Media
Our Awards of Achievement are designed to recognize and reward your accomplishments in a particular area of study. The award is an official acknowledgment that you have completed a set number of courses and requirements at Capilano University Continuing Studies. To launch the Award of Achievement program, we’ve selected Digital Communications & Social Media as the focus.
Take command of your online channels
The CapU Award of Achievement in Applied Digital Communications & Social Media is a part-time program for those wanting an in-depth understanding of how to develop a social media plan and gain up-to-date and directly applicable skills within the digital communications landscape. Hands-on courses, filled with real-world insight and case studies, give you the confidence to succeed in digital communications and social media whether you are building up your career, your organization or both!
Learn relevant, in-demand skills
The courses in the program cover key aspects of digital communications and social media. The approach is hands-on, so you will:
- Gain a solid understanding of the social media landscape, how it integrates with offline business, and how to can develop your own social media plan.
- Build a social media plan that solves specific problems and/or takes advantage of specific opportunities for an organization
- Select channels and networks to match that plan
- Set up and manage each of the four major channels: Facebook, Instagram, Twitter and Snapchat
- Learn to create visual, written and other forms of digital content that align with an overall strategy
- Plan, implement and manage basic text AdWords campaign to drive traffic to your site
- Understand and explain fundamental factors that impact a site’s organic listing on Google
- Use Google Analytics to identify insights that can be applied towards management and implementation of an SEO and AdWords campaign or overall digital marketing plan
Who is this for?
While the Award of Achievement in Applied Digital Communications & Social Media is open to everyone, it will be particularly useful for:
- Marketing and communications professionals
- Business managers and entrepreneurs
- Professionals involved in their organizations
- Consultants who wish to raise awareness around their own brand and better connect with existing and potential clients
- University students and recent grads looking to further develop their digital marketing know-how through real-world insights from industry experts, that keep their skills relevant and in demand.
The courses that comprise the Award of Achievement in Applied Digital Communications & Social Media are broken down into Core courses and Electives. You must complete five courses (all core courses plus two electives within a specified time frame). Courses are 10 to 15 hours in length and vary from four to six sessions:
CORE COURSES (Mandatory):
ELECTIVE COURSES (Select any 2):
Look for this symbol
When this symbol appears beside the course description, it indicates that the course can be applied to an Award of Achievement.
Can the courses be taken as a one-off Continuing Studies course, without having to enroll in the Award of Achievement program?
Yes. you can take the courses individually, just like any other Continuing Studies course.
Additional requirements and timelines
- Intent to complete an Award of Achievement must be declared by end of the first term in which you take a course that could be applied to the award
- All five courses must be completed within two calendar years (it’s important to note that you don’t have to take all the courses at once; you can stagger them over time).
For any additional queries, please email us.